Monday, September 24, 2007
Do Not Give Up The Couch
I once had a roommate who decided he liked the couch better than his own bed. It started only once or twice a week and I turned a blind eye. I figured what's the harm if he occationaly falls asleep on the couch. Then it became a little more frequent. He moved his pillow and blanket permenently to the end of the couch and would only sleep in his room if I beat him home and had friends with me, and only then if we showed no signs of breaking things up anytime soon. I didn't entertain often so he would go for weeks, sometimes months without sleeping in his room. And worse, as couch cusions don't get laundered as often or as well as sheets, the couch developed a funk that took over the livingroom. It was his couch, but I was paying half the rent, he was not entitled to take over the livingroom. I tried to stay friendly but whenever I brought it up he would just state that it was far more comfortable than he bed and change the subject. If I had a long hard day and got in late, I couldn't veg out in front of the TV or play video games. If I wanted to bring friends over, I had to make sure it was before he became firmly entrenched on the couch. If I got up before him, which was the norm, I was pretty much limited to the kitchen or my bedroom. Eventually it became an uncomfortable topic between us. Don't let your roommate take over the livingroom. If it becomes a regular thing, put your foot down. There are times to compromise and times to stand your ground. This is a time to stand your ground. If they wont give up the couch, don't avoid the livingroom and don't bother being quiet. By the time we parted company, he had turned his bedroom into a closet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment